A new start

January 18, 2017

It's been almost three years since the last post! Actually, I haven't baked, let alone blogged, since then.

To get me back to baking, my husband encouraged me, saying "Just tell me what to do and I'll do it." Surprisingly, he was really good at certain baking techniques, such as folding, not mixing the batter.  These chocolate muffins are essentially the first things he's baked, but they really did make me want to bake again! Here's what's been going on-- sorry it's so long...



In April 2015, a sudden onset of pain that varied from sharp spasms, deep aches, to muscle weakness traveled throughout my arms (fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders) and knees. When it didn't stop for a week and I had exhausted webmd, I went to the doctor who referred me to a rheumatologist. At my first visit, the rheumatologist diagnosed the pain, stiffness, and swelling as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), with which I had already self-diagnosed and thoroughly googled.

After a week of being on prednisone (steroids), there had been no changes, and the rheumatologist was very confused. So I went to another rheum for a second opinion. This doctor seemed much more experienced and calm, and took his time to make a diagnosis. Nine blood tests and three months later, he explained that while I had a positive rheumatoid factor (RF), a marker for RA, results on the other blood tests led to an inconclusive diagnosis. "Let's monitor your symptoms. What's most important is that you live your life as normally as possible," he said.

Six months later at the follow-up, I explained that the pain was slightly more manage-able, but only because I had stopped doing anything that could aggravate the pain. He ended the appointment with, "It's still not conclusive. It looks closest to early-RA so it may become full-blown in a few years. Let's continue to monitor, and I know it's hard but keep trying to live your life as normally as possible."

I smiled and thanked him, because I knew he saw far worse cases than mine, and he was trying to encourage, but inside I was burning with frustration and fighting back tears. Live life normally? I could barely get through the work day, sleep, or get my mind off the fear of what was to come in the future. And those were just the big things. I couldn't use a fork or chopsticks to eat or even open my water bottle. And then there were my favorite things: goodbye baking, cooking, painting, rock climbing (good thing I didn't care for other physical activities....) It was difficult to keep up with relationships, because I had no energy for anything social- my Friday night goal was to lay in bed with a heat pack.

It was a spiral of bitterness, self-pity, and hopelessness. But throughout the past year and a half, God has been changing my perspective in a few ways:

1. It is so natural to be self-focused and coveting. I was constantly jealous that others could do things that I could not. I really need to be reminded that I am not entitled to or deserve anything, not even the things we most take for granted.

2. When abilities, activities, and relationships were stripped away, I honestly felt like a different person. I still do most days. But I have to remember that none of these things make us who we are. At the core, my identity is entirely in Christ.

3. I have prided myself in being independent over the years, so I'm not used to asking for help from others. But in desperation, sisters in my small group typed up my work reports, church and family members dropped off meals, and friends called to lift up prayers. I am so thankful God used these people to melt away much of my bitterness.

4. Autoimmune diseases are often called "invisible illnesses" because on the outside the person looks perfectly fine, but is managing chronic pain on the inside. This makes me think of all the other invisible pain that people around us are bearing but not necessarily showing- be it depression, mourning, relational conflicts, loneliness, financial hardships, or other stressors. I pray that the Lord may use this trial to help me see and care more for the invisible.

5. I think perseverance through trials strangely allows us to see more clearly- that they are but momentary afflictions.


"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."
-2 Corinthians 4:16-18

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Tiff, it is sooo encouraging to read this post! Thank you for sharing your perspective and learnings during these difficult physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual times. I'm glad to see you getting back into baking with Mike's encouragement and help now. Love you and just prayed for you, sister!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Real Time Analytics