Healthy muffins--have two!

February 01, 2011

Although I am always baking (butter and sugar galore), I am actually a huge health nut sometimes because of my parents' (mostly my dad's) influence. I tend to reduce the amount of butter and sugar for your arteries' sake! I know, I know--you are supposed to be exact in baking! But honestly, I just skim off a little from what the recipe calls for, without measuring...and nothing--ok, few things--have gone disastrously!

Here are two truly guilt-free recipes for muffins. If you make too many, you can always freeze them for a quick breakfast/snack. (We've been going through them too quickly to do so....) Both are worth trying, but I found the oatmeal ones a little dry, while the banana ones were really, really moist (oy, need a new word)!

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
adapted from joythebaker
makes 12-15 muffins


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cups oats
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 T canola oil
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup blueberries (frozen worked well!)
Steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. In a large bowl, combine: flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. 
  4. In a medium bowl, combine: applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg.
  5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and fold in wet mixture. Stir until just moist. 
  6. Fold in blueberries. 
  7. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes.

Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from Handle the Heat (originally banana espresso chocolate chip muffins- but I couldn't find my espresso powder!)
makes ~a dozen muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (~ 4 bananas)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup plain applesauce
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used buttermilk!)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 t instant espresso powder (didn't have this, but bet they'd be bomb with it)
  • 1 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt (I would decrease to 1/2 t next time)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (recommended: Ghirardelli 60% cacao baking chips--so good I eat them out of the bag every day.) 
Steps:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together: mashed bananas, honey, sugar, applesauce, buttermilk, and egg.
  3. Add flour, instant espresso powder, baking soda, and salt to banana mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. (I forgot to do this, so I just placed a few chocolate chips on top in the last 5 min of baking).
  4. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

*Step 5: Give them ears. Yay, Bear friends!!! (For you, JT! this blog's and Cal's greatest fan haha :))

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Real Time Analytics