Cake4Kids!

March 31, 2013


Last fall, I stumbled upon an organization called Cake4Kids that gathers volunteers in the Bay Area to deliver homemade birthday cakes to youth in the foster care system. Their goal is to never miss a child's birthday, to make their day special, and to ultimately to remind each child of his or her worth.

It's been an interesting experience so far. The first delivery was one of those stories that really warms your heart. The birthday boy must've been sitting as his window all day waiting for his cake, because when I walked up to his house, I heard him whisper "Hi!" out of his window. The older brother who opened the door wore a Cal basketball shirt. All in all, a positive experience.

The next delivery was to a girl who stayed in a foster care agency. The man who I dropped it off to thought I was really shady and seemed to have no idea what Cake4Kids was. He told me that someone upstairs would come get it so I hope that the cake eventually reached the birthday girl.


The most recent delivery was also...interesante. Firstly, the teenage girl requested an owl theme for her cupcakes. Very unique. Also, they look neatly arranged in the pictures above, but due to some crazy driving, they were in absolute disarray when I arrived at her house. After rearranging them so they actually spelled out her name, I found that no one was home...except for two vicious dogs who were ready to attack, no doubt. I couldn't reach the contact person for the delivery, so again, hope she received it!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Real Time Analytics