Bake to bless.

January 21, 2011


When I was home this past Christmas break, I found an old journal from 2008--junior year of college. I had written about a day I had completely forgotten until I read about it--I couldn't believe it! It was so impactful now that I've been reminded.

I was running (literally, working up a sweat to Dwinelle--just to the left of Sather Gate, shown above!) late to my daily 8am Spanish class and realized the computer lab where I usually print my papers wasn't open that early. So I rushed into the nearest copy center to pay an exorbitant amount to print 2 pages, but I feared my intense Spanish professor, so it was worth it. Actually, what followed made it fully worth it.

When I approached the cashier to pay, I noticed he looked...sad--not just a disgruntled look of being the only one at work so early, but distinctly sad. When I smiled, he asked, "Do you really think there is something to be thankful for every day?" Surprised, all I could say was, "Yeah, I really do," and ran straight to class. But I thought about his question all day, and when I got home, I asked my roommate, "Is it really weird if I go drop off cookies to him tomorrow? He just seemed so sad.." Looking back, maybe I shouldn't have asked one of my best friends who supports me in everything. Glad she did though!

I wrapped some pumpkin bars and attached a note that read, "I truly believe we have reason to be thankful each day. May you be blessed this Thanksgiving," and dropped in on my way to Spanish. When I got to the copy center, I didn't see him and ran to Spanish (late again) and figured it just meant I shouldn't be such a creepy stranger. But I went back after class (after some nervous pacing outside the store), and this time he was at the cash register again! Upon handing him the cookies, he flashed a huge smile, looked at me and said, "God bless."   

So one of my hopes in starting a blog about baking is really to record the stories that go along with each recipe, because my favorite part of baking is that it is a way to bless others and give a piece of my heart. Cheesy much?

Anyway, here is the recipe for what I gave that man at the copy center. They are my FAVORITE fall/pumpkin baked good! They are also healthier (and fluffier!) than most comparable recipes, because they use egg whites, a lot of pumpkin, and minimal oil. I don't usually like to repeat recipes, but THESE I've probably made at least 9 or 10 times, playing with the sugar proportions each time.

Pumpkin Bars (consistency of a light banana bread)

adapted from Lovin' From the Oven

Ingredients:
  •   2 cups flour
  •   1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  •   2 t baking powder
  •   2 t ground cinnamon
  •   1 t baking soda
  •   1/4 t salt
  •   1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
  •   2 cup canned pumpkin
  •   4 slightly beaten egg whites
  •   1/3 cup canola oil
  •   1/2 cup water
Directions
  1. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick coating; set aside.
  2. Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl. Stir in pumpkin, egg whites, oil, and water until thoroughly combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Awesome story! You should try to include a story like that (no matter how small) in every post. That would really make your blog worth reading, especially for people like me who have absolutely no intention on baking anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story! I enjoyed reading it especially on this Chinese New Year day!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Real Time Analytics